29 March, 2009

New Formula 1 Season. Hurrah! It's not boring!

This season could be worth watching for once. Last season had the added interest of whether Lewis Hamilton had the character to take the championship, and he had the grace (!) to keep that interest going right to the end.

I felt genuinely sorry for Filipe Massa, and you don't often get that from me for a Ferrari driver. His reaction at finding out that he had not, in the end, won the championship was an example in sportsman-like behaviour to the louts who shout the odds at every decision that goes against them. I understand why he is driving for Ferrari - it brings great kudos - but I think he's a bigger man than to have to work for a team that does behave loutishly whenever it finds another team getting the upper hand under the rules, by trying to get the rules changed or re-interpreted.

A case in point is the design of the rear diffuser on the Brawn GP car. Because they didn't think of this design, Ferrari (together with their engine customers, Scuderia Torro Rosso) have tried to get it banned. Typical! Here we go again! Mump, grumble, etc. The Stewards at Melbourne ruled that it's perfectly legal, but of course, these teams have appealed; which will go to a Ferrari-friendly organisation to adjudicate on, so they'll overturn the stewards' decision.

But it was GREAT to see Brawn's team do so well from such a late get-go. I've always thought that Button had been badly treated by Williams, who should have stuck with him for at least one more season. I really think that he could have had a good haul of wins with them, and seeing how he drives at he wheel of a good car bears this out, I think. OK, he's had a lot of experience since he was at Williams, but he was progressing well. Imagine if he'd had the support from them that Hamilton has had from McLaren!

The star for me was Trulli: coming 3rd from a pit-lane start was spectacular, even if he did foul up right at the end by passing Hamilton under Safety Car conditions, earning him a 25 seconds penalty on his finishing time (putting him 12th).

Also worth a mention is Rosberg, mostly for his terrific overtakes. Williams badly need a good tactician in the team before they are going to get any results, no matter how improved their car and driver are - I don't count Nakajima: he's only there to shuffle the pack when the pace car comes out after his accident.

Have the rule changes worked? Seems so on the basis of today's race
- There was close racing
- Cars were able to follow one another closely enough to draft down the straights
- There was overtaking! Quite a lot of it! Hoo-bloody-ray!

Well, it wasn't as close and exciting as Touring Cars or Bike racing, but on this basis I don't think I'll be saying "that's it! I'm not watching this boring load of old tosh ever again" at the end of this year, unless the politics ruins it all again. Lets see what happens with the diffuser appeal.

No comments: